Wednesday, November 15, 2017

"What if WE adopt him?"

""Sealey is almost 10 years old.
He lives in an orphanage in Eastern Europe.
I don't know much about his past - I'm guessing he has lived in the orphanage since birth. In his country, babies born with disabilities are mostly left at the hospital at birth""

Above is how I started a blog specifically for Sealey, 3 years ago, when Sealey was 9, almost 10. I never did write or publish any posts, as I decided to use Facebook, rather than a blog, to advocate for him.
I have shouted for him, off and on, since before then.
He is now 13.

The only photo I had of him until the beginning of 2017 was the one that had been on his Reece's Rainbow profile since he was first listed as being available for adoption SEVEN years ago.
This photo was taken when he was around 6 years old.


At the beginning of this year (2017), a new photo emerged, of Sealey aged 11.
This photo broke my heart, and it spurred me into advocating for him even more.


However, Reece's Rainbow recently changed the way they help fund the older kid's adoption grants - once they turn 10, instead of having individual grants, there is a grant pool, and each older child is eligible for up to a $10,000 grant, depending on funding !!

Unfortunately, this also meant that I could no longer raise money just for Sealey.
Instead, I devised a way to get him seen, AND to raise $$ for the grant pool.
I asked interested people to donate $5 to the Older Other Angels grant, and in exchange I would send them a laminated 10" by 8" photo of Sealey.
I then asked them to take that photo out and about with them, and take pictures - then post the pictures on social media.

You can see the results in THIS POST.

Anyhow, I digress.

Sealey has been on my mind and in my heart for a LONG time.

I had even thought about adopting him - but I had broached the subject of adoption once before with my husband, many years ago, and he had told me a definite no. At the time, I was sad, but came to terms with the fact that I was to be an advocate, not an adoptive parent - and I was fine with that !

Until last month.

One day, out of the blue, my husband asked "What if WE adopt him?"

After he had revived me, we talked.

He was willing to adopt Sealey - BUT he wanted to wait a while, to see if a younger, more "suitable" family stepped forward for him.

I tried a few tactics to get him to change his mind, but nothing seemed to be working, so one day I took to Facebook, and asked the members of the Reece's Rainbow group to share WHY we shouldn't wait.
Why Sealey shouldn't have to wait.
I printed out all of the comments, and presented them to my husband (I will share them on this blog eventually).
He read the first two comments, then refused to read any more.

A few hours later, he told me to go for it.
To get the process started.
To do what it takes to bring Sealey home to us, his family !!


We are, obviously, still very early in the process, and seeing what is involved is incredibly scary !!

It is a long, expensive process, with lots of steps involved - but at the end of it, all being well, we will be able to bring "Sealey" home, where he will receive the best medical care, therapy, education and, best of all, LOVE.

I ask you all for your support as we work our way towards bringing him home !

I will try and post as often as possible to keep you updated with what stage we are at - this will also be a great way for me to keep track of what's going on when !!

Here is the link to our profile at Reece's Rainbow :)



































1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I'm kind of in awe that our comments on that Facebook thread worked! But mine wasn't in the first 2, so I can't really take credit. ;-) I'm so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete